Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Project Exhibition tomorrow - wheeee!

Just a quick note before tomorrow's big day.

The end-of-summer Junior Fellows exhibition is tomorrow and I'm really excited to be showing off my summer project. I wish that my spiel could be condensed into something short and snappy, but there is a lot of back story involved when explaining what I've been doing for the last 9 weeks, where the Yudin collection came from, and how I learned to read pre-Revolutionary Russian handwriting. Anyway, the cool news today is that, in all the various press releases, invitations, and announcements sent by the Library, my main display item got mentioned every time, as one of the many "treasures" discovered by interns this summer! And I know that a lot of people will read "Emblem book created for Peter the Great, 1705" and think, "What's an emblem boo?" and "Why was this Peter guy so great?" but that's fine with me. A month ago, I didn't know what an emblem book was, either, but thanks to this awesome internship I got the chance to learn. :)

If you want to read the official announcement, here it is:
http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2009/09-147.html

I will try to take lots of pictures and post them up somewhere (most likely on Facebook) at the end of this crazy week. And by this time next Tuesday, I should be safely back in Michigan, doing laundry and moving furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment