Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What every educated Siberian vodka merchant needs to have in his library

This past week has really flown by. I have meetings nearly every day, I have to answer a swarm of emails now, and I'm trying really hard to wrap up my project nice and neat for my supervisor. A cool breakthrough with the Yudin Collection: we finally found a music book in the Library's holdings that belonged to Yudin. I found a bundle of 10 or 20 cards that belonged to sheet music or exercise books (mainly for violin and/or piano) but neither I nor any of the music division interns could find the books or music on the shelves. But finally, on Monday, we found two volumes from a larger set that had matched the handwritten cards and had all the right Yudin markings (accession numbers, bookseller labels, stuff like that). It's a great find because it really illustrates the diversity of this man's collection.

Here is a partial list of the topics I've seen represented on his cards so far:
Sheet music for violin, viola, and piano
Maps of Europe
European literature in a variety of languages
Old and New Testaments in English, Greek, and Latin
LOTS of law books, especially ones relating to the production and distribution of wine and vodka
Science books related to insects
Engravings of English castles
Dictionaries (including a 2-vol. glossary of naval terminology that included 50 languages!)
Islamic coin collecting
Histories of Europe
Krylov's Russian Fairy Tales
Emblem books from 1705

I am still only through Bundle 9, of perhaps 35 bundles in the first box. I think the goal was to process 1,000 cards and right now I've seen maybe 500. It's no small feat, thought, considering the time it takes to a) decipher the writing on the card, b)find a matching online record, c)compare the two and make necessary changes, and d)locate either the book on a shelf in any one of five buildings or its corresponding card in any one of four card catalogs. So I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and say that 500 is a good number. :)

There have been a few field trips lately and I've taken over 200 pictures. I'm hoping to put them up on Facebook soon but the part that I keep stalling on is the labelling. So maybe you'll see pictures without any captions and I'll just start a contest for wittiest description. :)

1 comment: